[Hidden-tech] Getting rid of hardware

Don Lesser dlesser at ptraining.com
Fri Apr 27 16:03:27 EDT 2007

If they are unusable, the Amherst town dump will take them for about 8 per
PC and 5 per monitor. The used computer store in Hadley will recycle them
for $1/lb. The last time we used them, we stripped all the electronics out
of the metal casing, saving a ton of money, and sent the metal to the
recycling in the landfill.

Most schools want at least P3 on the PC side and something comparable on the
Mac. Even non-profits have their limits these days.

As far as wiping the disks, don't know the Mac equivalent. On a PC, I would
FDISK it (low level partition) and reformat. Twice if I was very paranoid.
Norton used to sell a military grade disk eraser, but unless you are storing
atomic secrets, I don't see going to all that trouble. Reformatting twice
should be sufficient.

Don Lesser

Pioneer Training, Inc.

14 Bobala Road