[Hidden-tech] Windows for a Mac

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Apr 19 15:20:04 EDT 2007

At Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:29:26 -0400 "Anne Campbell" <acampbell at gmail.com> wrote:

>    ** The author of this post was a Good Dobee.
>    ** You too can help the group
>    ** Fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> Jeff, your question is a timely one for me, as I'm in the market for a
> MacBook. Do you mind if I piggyback and ask another question?
>
> I have a laptop running Windows XP now, and it's in no shape to sell. I
> think I have the XP install disks somewhere. Would it be kosher for me to
> install XP on my new MacBook, provided that I don't resell the old laptop? I
> don't want to do anything illicit.

Read the MS-Windows ELUA.  I believe the 'non transferable' clause is
pretty straight forward.  Unless you totally 'destroyed' the old laptop
(esp. wiped the hard drive), using the XP install disks to install XP
on another computer (even one you own), is a violation of the ELUA.
The only machine you can legitimatly use those XP install disks are
your laptop should you need to REinstall XP. I am pretty sure it is not
legal to install  XP on another machine, *even if you wipe the hard
drive of the original disk*.  BTW: Vista enforces the ELUA and in some
cases a hardware *upgrade* of the original computer might cause Vista's
'piracy check' to kick in, requiring one to get a new license (by
paying $200.00).  M$ is not very forgiving of license violations.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration