[Hidden-tech] Windows for a Mac

Charlton Wilbur cwilbur at chromatico.net
Thu Apr 19 10:53:54 EDT 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 9:34 AM, Jeff Rutherford wrote:

>    ** The author of this post was a Good Dobee.
>    ** You too can help the group
>    ** Fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> I have a Macbook that I want to install Windows on.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Where can I get a reasonably priced copy of Windows XP? In my
> searches, I see upgrade versions of XP in the $90 range, but full
> versions run in the neighborhood of $180-190. I don't really want
> to spend that amount of money.

No idea.  Unless you can legitimately buy an OEM version (often
available for sale with a motherboard or hard drive -- which you
don't necessarily need to install in the same computer you're
installing Windows on) you're probably looking at $200 or so.

> 2. Do you recommend Parallels or Bootcamp?

Parallels lets you run Mac apps and Windows apps concurrently;
Bootcamp requires a reboot.  Parallels costs money; Bootcamp
doesn't.  Parallels virtualizes the screen, and so can't use hardware
graphics acceleration effectively; Bootcamp uses the native hardware.

How much Windows do you need?  What do you intend to do with it?

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur
cwilbur at chromatico.net