[Hidden-tech] Need quick advice on Mac OS 10.2.8, please

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Thu Apr 5 17:48:19 EDT 2007

Hi, HTers, I've got three questions.

1. How does one defrag a hard drive in OS 10.2.8? I knew how to do it
in OS 1-9 but I don't know how with my current system. Performance
has gotten really slow the last couple of weeks, and I suspect
fragmentation. (Or is there something else I should be doing to
restore performance speed?). It has used 34.65GB out of 55.89.

2. Twice this week, I have been unable to wake up this Mac when it's
asleep. Both times it was several hours into a massive file upload
using YouSendIt (today's was ~680MB, and it got up to 30% within a
couple of hours, then just sat there, and then when I came back an
hour after I'd last used it, no matter what I did, I got a dark
screen with only the power light on). I don't know if a similar
problem had occurred the previous time, but I *was* in the middle of
an upload.

3. I'm also having difficulties with Eudora. It's crashing a lot,
with no particular pattern about why (other than if the mail comes in
when it's not the top-most application, it will often crash--but
lately it's been crashing for other reasons too. This is the paid
version, v. 6.2.3. I have the memory set to minimum size of 13,312K
and the recommended at 14,336 (the program's default is like 4MB). I
tried to bump up the memory, but even when the program's not running,
the finder won't let me change those numbers as I did in the past.

Anyone got any advice about any of this?

Thanks a bunch.
Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/800-683-WORD shel at frugalfun.com
-->Join the Business Ethics Pledge - Ten Years to Change the World,
One Signature at a Time  (please tell your friends)
<http://www.business-ethics-pledge.org>
Marketing consulting * copywriting * publishing assistance * speaking
How to market ethically/effectively: http://www.frugalmarketing.com
Ethics Blog:  http://www.principledprofit.com/good-business-blog/
Books: http://www.frugalmarketing.com/shop.html