[Hidden-tech] strange email problem, Mac related

Frieda Reichsman friedar at nsm.umass.edu
Wed Apr 4 11:36:36 EDT 2007

On Apr 4, 2007, at Apr 4, 9:55 AM, Christopher Miles wrote:
> The only other method for encoding a space is with a slash:
>   chris\ miles

Will check this possibility out.

> While there are rules about having spaces in an e-mail address,
> there are no such rules about spaces in a user's name. This happens
> a lot in Windows environments where the user name is often the
> persons first and last name.

I take it you are drawing a distinction between the user's name and
the username, because the latter is of course part of the email address.

> If the dot in the space works on his Windows machine then that
> should work on his Macintosh as well. My suspicion is that his
> outgoing server isn't setup correctly and that is where the problem
> truly lies. OIT at UMASS, for instance, requires SSL for the
> outgoing server if you are off campus. Other organizations may have
> similar quirks
>
>   http://www.oit.umass.edu/umail/software/configumail/
> mac_applemail.html
> -- Miles

OK, thanks, Miles. And thanks to all who have replied on this issue.
I am always impressed with the lengths people will go to for clarity
and completeness of response on this list, explaining nuances etc. It
is very helpful.

I hope to work more on this over the weekend. If I can confirm with
the ISP what the real email name is (clearly it is not the name with
the space in it!) and/or confirm that the outgoing server is not set
up correctly, or confirm anything interesting at all  :^)   I'll post.

Frieda

Frieda Reichsman
Molecules in Motion
Interactive Molecular Structures