[Hidden-tech] strange email problem, Mac related

Frieda Reichsman friedar at nsm.umass.edu
Tue Apr 3 10:15:57 EDT 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at Apr 3, 8:06 AM, Robert Heller wrote:

> What ISP is creating E-Mail addresses with spaces in them?  I thought
> that was forbotten by RFC822?  The local part (before the '@') should
> only contain alphnumbercs (letters, digits), and - and _ and . and
> nothing else.

Right-- should-- but doesn't. I appreciate how strange this is.

What I know at present is that this email address was created long
ago, and has been used without problems for many years, 10 or more
I'd guess. The email server address has my friend's business name in
it, so I assume it is something someone set up many years ago
specifically for the business (I don't know what that says about who
his ISP is, but I can ask him...)  He's well aware that it is a
strange thing to have a space in a username, but since everything has
worked for all this time on his many Win machines, there's not much
motivation to change it.

He is interested in Macs and has bought a MacBook to explore. This is
not someone who is or will be necessarily switching to Mac.
Particularly if email that Win is handling cannot be handled by the
Mac machine.

I'm not being at all critical of Mac - I'm a devoted fan and long
time user. Not tolerating a heinous, objectionable, incorrect, etc.
email address may be a good thing in the long run and probably
reflects a better design. But in this instance it would be great if
there were a work-around...

Frieda

> --
> Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
> http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
> heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

Frieda Reichsman
Molecules in Motion