[Hidden-tech] RFP: Client Survey Consultant

Dan Kirsch dankirsch at verizon.net
Mon Oct 30 13:59:45 EST 2006

Greetings -

This is my first post to the list, and I hope it's worthwhile for someone out here especially since this group is responsible for bringing me two of my original consulting clients, and I'd really like to return the favor for another hidden techie.

Below is an RFP I just received from Third Sector New England
(http://www.tsne.org)which provides information and services to build the knowledge, power and effectiveness of nonprofit organizations that engage people in community and public life. They estimate the value of the project at $12,500 to $15,000.

Dan Kirsch
A Dream Referred
Florence, MA
413-221-9521
adreamreferred at verizon.net

Request for Proposal

Client Survey Consultant

The Fiscal Sponsorship Program at Third Sector New England (TSNE)
seeks a consultant or consulting group to conduct a survey of current and former fiscally-sponsored programs. The survey will have three areas of focus:

1) Client satisfaction with fiscal sponsorship services
2) Training needs as identified by clients
3) Client Advisory Boards responsibilities and effectiveness

The first area of focus will build on the data collected in the
initial survey conducted in the summer of 2003. The last two areas of focus will develop baseline data for the fiscal sponsorship program to use as it continues to augment its capacity building services.

There will be three phases to the project: survey development, survey implementation, and survey analysis. The survey will be conducted using an online survey tool (Survey Monkey) and through follow-up telephone or in-person interviews. The responsibilities of the consultant(s) will be:

Phase One:
1) Work with the fiscal sponsorship staff members to develop and
finalize the survey questions. Finalize the questionnaire, in
consultation with the Director of Fiscal Sponsorship;
2) Work with TSNE's IT Department members to put the survey online.
(The survey will be sent by the consultant or consultant team, rather than TSNE, to ensure confidentiality for our clients);
3) Work with the fiscal sponsorship director to select a few clients
to participate in a test of the survey.
4) Address and correct any issues that surface during the testing phase.

Phase Two:
1) Work with FS team members to identify the appropriate respondents
at each of 30 to 40 current and former fiscal sponsorship clients;
2) Work with the program director to inform all clients of the survey,and to request their participation;
3) Follow up with unresponsive clients to ensure maximum participation.

Phase Three:
1) Design a telephone interview protocol for follow-up with all
program directors, one or two staff members from each client
organization and one or two Advisory Board members from each client
organization.
2) Conduct telephone interviews with all program directors (30 to 40)and staff members who responded to the online survey (20 to 30) to clarify survey responses and explore the functions of their advisory board more fully.
3) Conduct telephone interviews of at least one and preferably two
advisory board members (30 to 60) to get his or her perspective on the responsibilities and effectiveness of the board.
4) Collate quantifiable data
5) Write a report on the findings of the survey for presentation to
the Fiscal Sponsorship Team and the Executive Director.

The survey results and report will be used by the fiscal sponsorship
department to improve client services and client satisfaction with our program; to design a training program for fiscal sponsorship clients to be implemented over the next two or three years; and to develop baseline data for a long-term study of the use and effectiveness of Advisory Boards. The results of the questions regarding Advisory Boards may also guide the capacity –building focus of the program over the next several years.

Consultants who respond to this RFP must demonstrate the following
capacities and experience:

1) Experience working in or with small, community-based or grass-roots nonprofit organizations
2) Strong interview and/or assessment skills or experience
3) Experience conducting surveys
4) Strong skills in assessing qualitative and quantitative data
5) An understanding of fiscal sponsorship arrangements would be
beneficial, but is not required.

To respond to this RFP, please submit:

1) Your approach and workplan
2) Budget by phase
3) Your qualifications, and resume or relevant experience of each
consultant who will work on this project
4) Three references

The total cost of this project is expected to be between $12,500 and
$15,000. It is anticipated that finalists will interviewed in
December, a selection made by early January 2007, and work will begin in mid-January 2007.

Please submit bids by December 1, 2006 to:
Bonnie McFarlane
Director of Fiscal Sponsorship
Third Sector New England
89 South Street, Suite 700