[Hidden-tech] my mail's been hijacked!

Rich rich at on-the-net.com
Mon Oct 16 10:54:45 EDT 2006

Not very likely

You are presuming that only your email client can send email from you.
In fact, there is nothing that validates what the 'from address' on a
message.

You should confirm you have no virus on your system sending email BUT
since it
is a Mac that is less likely and since the emails are bouncing, they
went to people
you don't know -- viruses usually send to your address book.

This is one of the risks of having an email address being used over time
or in many places on the net,
the older or more active an email account is, the more likely it will
find it's way to a list used by spammers
and that can lead to a spammer sending email with your email as the
return address.

We had one case of a very popular domain used for a return address and
it got over 70,000 bounces
within a day.

Rich

--
Rich Roth
CEO On-the-net

Bringing you complex online systems since the net was young
http://www.tnrglobal.com - http://www.on-the-net.com/rr/