[Hidden-tech] Wheelchair accessibility questions

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Wed Oct 11 14:16:46 EDT 2006

>1)Does anyone know of any wheelchair-accessible nature trails or spots in
>the Valley, in addition to the DAR?

Kevin Flood Accessible Trail, across the street from and slightly
past the main gate at Puffer's Pond, Amherst

>2)There are about five stairs to get up to the main floor of my house.  Any
>ideas on how to make that entrance wheelchair friendly just for a day?  Is
>it possible to rent a ramp?  Should I go out any buy some plywood?  Or what?

You may want to hire a carpenter to construct a permanent portable
ramp that you can attach and remove as needed. I had one of these at
my old house. I wouldn't trust a heavy scooter on it but it was fine
for a 200 lb person in a regular wheelchair. It screwed to the door
sill with wingnuts and took under five minutes to attach/detach.

If this is a one-time thing, you might call Stavros in Amherst and
see if they have any good ideas.
Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/800-683-WORD shel at frugalfun.com
-->Join the Business Ethics Pledge - Ten Years to Change the World,
One Signature at a Time  (please tell your friends)
<http://www.business-ethics-pledge.org>
Marketing consulting * copywriting * publishing assistance * speaking
How to market ethically/effectively: http://www.frugalmarketing.com
Ethics Blog:  http://www.principledprofit.com/good-business-blog/
Books: http://www.frugalmarketing.com/shop.html