[Hidden-tech] Biodiesel

Jonathan Dill jfdill at jfdill.com
Thu May 11 15:31:20 EDT 2006

On May 20 at 2pm, the Discovery Channel is going to replay the Dirty
Jobs "Bio-Diesel-Man" episode--this should give you some flavor of what
is involved if you want to get free "used" cooking oil and set up your
own "reactor."  There will probably be other airings.  This is one of my
favorite TV shows overall, Mike Rowe's wry humor really makes it work.

Diry Jobs web site:
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/dirtyjobs/splash.html

I think my wife thought I was crazy when I first started talking about
BioDiesel a few years ago, but now I think she is even more enthusiastic
about it than I am.  We will definitely be looking into it for our next
car purchase.  She's even warmed up to the idea of solar panels on the
roof :)  We live in Maryland, where thanks to the wonders of
deregulation, our BG&E power bills will get jacked up by 72% in June
when the caps come off.  I guess it's time to break out the oil lamps.

I'm driving a 2002 Prius myself, trying to find out if it is e85
compatible, but I don't think so.

Jonathan