[Hidden-tech] Hidden-Tech Turns 4 on Sunday!

A - Z International az at a-zinternational.com
Fri May 5 16:19:39 EDT 2006

Hi all,

	It's hard to believe that four years have passed since the launch of
Hidden-Tech. Though the Web site numbers don't reflect this, almost 1,500
people have joined the network since its first birthday. And many, many
regional institutions now rely on Hidden-Tech to reach our extraordinary
talent pool.
	As I've reached out to some of you with questions about what ywould ou
entice you to support the organization financially, I'm realizing that not
everyone understands a) what it costs to run Hidden-Tech, and b) what sort
of services we offer today and are working on for the future. And,
naturally, you would not be aware of the variety of ways that institutions
in the region already connect to Hidden-Tech, and what's in the works on
that front in the months to come that will assist you better connect to
them for resources and for possible work.
	The costs are hard to provide in any exact terms because so much is
donated. For example, just moderating the discussion list costs
approximately $15,000-plus. Steering committee members have donated in the
hundreds of thousands of dollars in work time. The technology in place and
Web design is also worth in the thousands of dollars, not to mention the
tools and the costs for programming.
	Some folks are very pleased with our services, whether the discussion
list, profiles on the Web site or programs, while others  dismiss them as
not offering much while still taking advantage of them! Just a reminder
that our discussion list is the ONLY list in western Massachusetts that
connects you to people regionally, nationally and globally. Our programs
are the only ones geared to the needs of virtual company owners rather than
general business people. It's the steering committee's hope that by
birthday No. 5 you will see an entirely new Web site platform that allows
for all sorts of self-promotion, interactivity and search capabilities.
	The following are some examples of ways that organizations, institutions
and businesses are leveraging the Hidden-Tech organization and ways that
our population (whether defined as Hidden-Tech) is affecting the local economy:

* Hidden-Tech is now an affiliate of the Regional Technology Corporation in
Springfield and has board representation through HT founder, co-chair Amy
Zuckerman. There are discussions for creating more joint programming to
loop HT members in with the larger companies in the region.

*The NY Times on April 23 featured mill projects in Easthampton and Holyoke
(Eastworks and Open Square) that are now being revised to including housing
to accommodate the home-based office person. Although the developers don't
call them Hidden-Tech, virtual company owners, that's what they are.

* Hidden-Tech is assisting the Franklin County Chamber and economic
development experts with creation and support of their creative cluster;

* Hidden-Tech and the Amherst Chamber continue our collaboration on
programming and hope to expand offerings next year.

* Thanks to the Amherst Chamber, Hidden-Tech has been looped into the new
Amherst Master Plan. There's a recognition that this population is playing
a major role in the housing market, school funding, demands for services,
all of which affect property taxes. I spoke to the consultants last night
and they are eager to learn more about HT.

* The UMass IT Program is working on developing an annual, Five-College
Internship Fair for students and HT companies at UMass in the fall. There
are many career/internship fairs, but none that focus solely on virtual
companies.

* The former UMass Office of Industry Liaison (now renamed) is working with
the steering committee to create a subcontractor referral system so that
UMass departments can seek us for assistance. This is in the infancy
stages, but definitely a priority for all parties.

* Hampshire College's development office is seeking more collaboration with
Hidden-Tech and may ask us to be a supporting organization for future grants.

* The City of Holyoke is exploring future programs with Hidden-Tech. They
backed last year's fabulous Hidden-Tech Connect showcase.

* At the end of June Amy Zuckerman will be presenting on Hidden-Tech in
Philadelphia at the Eastern Technology Council, which is interested in
creating services for Hidden-Tech companies in the mid-Atlantic states. The
aim is to also create a liaison between that region and western Massachusetts.

* Hidden-Tech continues to grow in the Berkshires with at least annual
programming. The next program is June 3 and will connect those attending
with Pittsfield's exciting new arts institutions. This should provide both
fun and business contacts.

* The Worcester Area Chamber of Commerce is considering sponsoring a
Hidden-Tech program in the months to come, which will link us to possible
alliance partners and clients to the east.

So, thanks for all your support these past four years and hope for your
continued backing as Hidden-Tech continues to grow and mature. In the next
week we should have a date for the annual meeting and will seek your advice
and thoughts in person.

best,

Amy Zuckerman
Hidden-Tech founder, co-chair