[Hidden-tech] Visio alternatives?

Jonathan Dill jfdill at jfdill.com
Mon May 1 16:53:19 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

I finally found a cross-platform application which seems comparable to
Visio:

http://www.thekompany.com/products/kivio/index.php3

Kivio MP is non-free, but still cheaper than MS Visio ($99.95 CD or
$89.95 download vs. $199.99 list for Visio Standard) and the additional
stencils sets are much cheaper as well (typically $5-10).  If you have
Linux, you can use the plain "Kivio" which is the free KOffice
component, but comes with a few less bells and whistles and fewer stencils.

Dia is a free program for Linux which also has some network-related
graphics included with it, but is less sophisticated.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/

I have also seen some discussions of efforts to port Dia stencils to OOo
draw, but haven't found any downloads for them.

For Windows, there is another non-free application called SmartDraw
which seems pretty good, price comparable to Visio Standard ($197 for
single user):

http://www.smartdraw.com/exp/ste/home/

Inkscape and Xara Xtreme also look impressive, but don't include any
network-related graphics, nor was I able to find many ready-made.  It
would take some work to build up a library of suitable graphics.
Inkscape uses SVG format natively and has a built-in context-sensitive
editor to modify the SVG XML source.  Xara uses .xar format, which
claims to be more powerful than SVG, but .xar is not an open standard
and needs to be exported to some other format for inclusion in other
documents.

http://www.inkscape.org/
http://www.xaraxtreme.org/

Jonathan