[Hidden-tech] Biodiesel

mcm at mcmvoices.com mcm at mcmvoices.com
Fri May 12 10:35:59 EDT 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 05:16:52PM -0400, W. Cody Anderson wrote:
> I'm ignorant of any comparisons to gasoline, but my feeling is that, like
> ethanol, it's got to better: clean and renewable.  The premium price of
> biodiesel will be less of a barrier as gas prices continue to increase.  I'm
> already happy to pay extra.

Plus diesels get higher gas mileage to start with.

My '98 Jetta has happily burned B-100 for the past three summers and
gives me 45 miles per gallon.

Fleming Oil in Brattleboro (and now in Greenfield!) sells B100 at the
pump for about the same price as diesel. President Bush gave us a
$1.00/gallon federal tax credit for retail sales of Biodiesel.

At Sirius Community we have a biodiesel fuel depot and an eight-member
coop. Last summer we moved about 75 gallons/week.

Winter-time use is a bit trickier--you have to run B20.