[Hidden-tech] Shout-out to local talent

Mitch Anthony mitch at element22.com
Thu Mar 16 00:27:08 EST 2006

Dearest Hidden-Techers -

This week the self-employed, creative community of Western Mass. is
being ably represented at one of the country's most august gatherings
of the music and arts scene: South By Southwest.  Now in its 20th
year, this annual gathering in Austin, TX celebrates what's new and
great in music, film and interactive media.

Please put your hands together for the ambassadors from our
incredible valley:

Kris Delmhorst, from my home of many years, Greenfield
"Kris Delmhorst’s songs roam from downtown edge to back-road roots,
and she sings them from where it counts. She’s quietly built a
devoted fan base that packs houses throughout the USA & UK. The
fourth record, a collection of songs inspired by well-known poems, is
due out on Signature Sounds June 2006. “The ambient beauty of Margo
Timmins, the country honesty of Lucinda Williams, and the airy
lightness of Emmylou Harris” (Boston Globe)"

Winterpills, from Northampton, the town that makes the rest of us hip
"Based in Northampton, Massachusetts, Winterpills play haunting,
delicate, room-hushingly beautiful music with aching melodies and
acid lyrics. Think Elliott Smith,X,Iron & Wine, and the Innocence
Mission all get drunk and fall asleep in Joni Mitchell's backyard.
"Achingly beautiful...," says The Washington Post about their self-
titled debut."

BTW, Kris Delmhorst and Winterpills are both on the Signature Sounds
label, another one of the valley's great talents. Discover this world-
class label at http://www.signaturesounds.com/

Thurston Moore, from Northampton
Thurston represents a new standard.  Major indie cred (when was the
last time you passed a magazine stand that didn't feature Thurston or
Kim?), a house one block from the new Smith art museum (with a
kitchen table that seats 20), a SoHo studio, a doted-on tweener
daughter, and friends who really know and love him.  Move over, Ward.
There's another tall guy in town.

Sonya Kitchell, from Ashfield
I remember Sonya singing "God Bless the Child" in my kitchen at the
age of 8.  She went on to be the first local ever to play the Iron
Horse and the second to be signed to the new Starbucks' "Hear"
label.  This week her new single was the #1 most added single on AAA
radio.

Last summer she was playing some new songs in a friend's living
room.  I couldn't recognize the chords she was playing.  "Sonya,
where'd you learn those chords?"  Sonya: "I made them up".

It could be a Western Mass. motto:  "Reality?  That's easy.  I make
it up."

Cheers to those who help make Western Mass. the paradise it really is.

Mitch Anthony