[Hidden-tech] Billable hours question

Edbride-PR Ed at edbride-pr.com
Thu Mar 9 08:53:28 EST 2006

My field is also public relations, and I don't know anybody who goes down to
increments less than a full hour; but then, I don't work with big agencies,
which may find it necessary.

In my original proposals, there is a standard clause that says something
like, "You want me to be spending my time getting attention to your
products, not filling out detailed reports..." The concept of a meter on
professional time is counter to a trusting and respectful relationship. So,
we set monthly activities, and the monthly report is a bullet-summary, not a
long narrative.

As to the original question, any time spent on client work is billable. I'm
pretty efficient, can draft a press release in an hour, but sometimes it
takes three. If the client wants revisions (who doesn't?), that doesn't mean
I did a bad job and should do the revision off-clock. Revision is part of
the process of getting it right.
    On the other hand, I would not expect the client to pay for my classroom
time if I needed to learn a new technology in order to work with them.

I'm always on the lookout for competitive news and market trends, and that's
just my cost of doing business (not billable). But the other work (drafting
press releases, approaching editors, telephone breifings, etc.) all is
within the scope of work; rather than being itemized, it is summarized.

Maybe I'm lucky...

Ed