[Hidden-tech] Registration before downloading a file

Will Loving will at dedicationtechnologies.com
Fri Jun 23 10:41:28 EDT 2006

Hi Anne,

I have a form to get to my download page and I¹ve had a similar problem with
rogue online services like Softpedia  that list the direct URL of the
download page. I actively use VersionTracker.com to list my software, but
these other services list you without your permission ­ mostly by copying
from VersionTracker as far as I can tell. They don¹t respond to my emails to
ask them not to do that and they regularly update their websites if I change
the download link.

There are a couple of techniques that I¹ve seen people use. The main one is
that the downloader fills out a form and is then sent an email with a link
to a dynamically created web page. The page has a unique onetime link to the
demo which I assume is being created on the fly, though I don¹t know by what
method. Does anyone have any clues on this?

Another issue I¹ve come up against is how much information to require from
downloaders before allowing them access to the demo page. For now I¹ve
settled on just requiring an email but leaving the option to include full
address and comments. The people who are serious about the software fill out
all the information. The problem is that I don¹t have a way at the moment of
validating the email address. I¹m considering generating an email to the
downloader with a link to the download page rather than just taking them
there. That way, if they enter a bogus email address (I¹d say about 25% do)
they won¹t get the email with the link. There is still the problem that the
download page is readily accessible if someone knows the URL, but it¹s
probably a step in the right direction.

Finally, I always include a hard-coded expiration date in my demos and
delete Master passwords before posting my demos. Both these things would
take an extremely determined hacker to change.

Will

Will Loving, President
Dedication Technologies, Inc.

--

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
DEDICATION TECHNOLOGIES, INC.

- Developers of StudioSchool Pro -

Professional FileMaker Pro Database Development
For Non-Profits, Business, and Education
7 Coach Lane  Amherst, MA 01002-3304   USA
Tel:1 413 253-7223   (GMT ­5)  Fax:1 206 202-0476
will at dedicationtechnologies.com
http://dedicationtechnologies.com     http://studioschoolpro.com