[Hidden-tech] protecting one's services....

debbe dugan debbe at simplycomputing.info
Tue Jun 27 10:04:42 EDT 2006

Hello Anne,

    I think it sounds good.  I would like to work with Kimo's scripting
and try to follow Will's advice too.  It would be nice to have a
database list of users created, something that I can convert to
Filemaker for our use, but I guess I could parse a flat text file if
it's format is _consistent_ with predictable delimiters and create
records from that.

    I've thought about passwords and other 'catch'em's', but since the
main reason for registering is to measure software distribution and
improve customer support this should be fine.  The pirating is a minor
issue since the software is free and there's little demand for folks to
pay for it unless someone has made a localized version in their own
language.

    Down the road, though, we may be adding a password or some such
security to the program or download for the program by this winter or
next.  Hopefully this method will allow  us to give each registrant a
varied and valid password down the road just in case we need to.

Stefan
drred at mtdata.com
http://www.cottagemed.org

p.s. please thank everyone and say hello to Will for me :)

One gathers peace as a feather in the palm of one's hand.

anonymous