[Hidden-tech] Junk Faxes

Jonathan Dill jfdill at jfdill.com
Tue Jan 31 17:58:13 EST 2006

Rikk Desgres wrote:

>I have an efax number. The problem is that the fax machine is ONLY used for
>outgoing faxes. It¹s actually hitched to my home phone. So at 3AM my family
>is awaken by these sleezebags faxing me.

Perhaps there is a way to block incoming fax calls?  With a modem, you
can set it to just ignore incoming calls, but fax machines might not
have that feature.  Perhaps there is some kind of electronic switch that
normally leaves the phone line disconnected, but detects when the fax
machine "picks up the phone" to make an outgoing call and then connects
the phone line.  Electrically speaking, I think how it would work would
be to stop the "ring" voltage from coming in from the phone line, but
still allow the fax machine to complete the circuit for a call going
out.  Whether anyone has an inexpensive device to do that, I don't know,
perhaps I should rush out and file for a patent.  Radio Shack or Black
Box are a couple companies that might make something like that, or maybe
one of the "home automation" websites.

If the fax machine is light duty and doesn't hook up to a computer, one
low tech solution might be to hook it up to some kind of light timer
that just cuts the power at night, but that might be hard on the fax
machine, I'd defer to others on whether that is a good idea or not.

Jonathan