[Hidden-tech] best phone service?

Peter Degen-Portnoy pdp at InnovatiumInc.com
Sun Jan 22 21:19:04 EST 2006

I, too, am using Skype, but only for my office number.  Giannina
Silverman can vouch that between her Vonage and my Skype we've not
always had the best phone calls.  If the line is iffy, I start moving
back to my old ship to shore training -- one person at a time, although
I stop short of saying "over."  On the other hand, I don't have a router
with QoS capability, which sounds like a very nice thing to add to help
ensure the VOIP channels are getting highest priority.

I tried AT&T's digital phone for a short while a few years ago.  Their
sales pitch was compelling since we have family in Europe and they
promised very low international call rates.  However, from the
contractor who wanted to install a huge white box on the front of my
newly painted blue house and couldn't run a cable through the huge cable
run in the basement, to the billing which was at the wrong rate (write
everything down!) from the get go, the entire experience stank.  I was
also very concerned with loss of service during power outages.  They
lasted three months and I switched back.

The utter reliability of POTS has made me very hesitant to move away
from it, what with my wife and four kids at home.  My assessment was
that VOIP is fine in non-critical applications for me, but not for a
home with young kids.

I thought that Skype would give me an advantage when travelling
overseas.  I found that I couldn't use it though the dialup from my
inlaws.  I tried paid services (Boingo) and ended up hanging out at
Starbucks in Berlin for a fast enough wireless connection.

However, Skype has been perfectly adequate for business calls.  And one
really can't complain about the rates (closer to 2 cents per minute).
The new version 2.0 promises better call quality (plus the ability to
organize contacts into groups!)

Peter

Peter Degen-Portnoy
{
   President
   Innovatium

   Makers of the Hold-It! Game Card Organizer (tm)
      "Go from Mess to Marveous(tm)"

   pdp at InnovatiumInc.com
   781-583-7566 (o)
}