[Hidden-tech] best phone service?

Kevin McAllister kevin at inresonance.com
Sat Jan 21 19:42:55 EST 2006

on 1/21/06 1:12 PM, Jeanne Yocum at jeanne at yourghostwriter.com wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> Wanted to make sure that anyone who is considering going to VOIP only is aware
> of this potentially critical issue.   This article is from Oct. 2004; it may
> be possible that some of these issues have been fixed by now but I do recall
> seeing a piece on TV about it in 2005 as well.  So best to check a company's
> 911 capabilities before signing up.
>
> Jeanne Yocum

This could be a worry. You can register your VOIP number with 911 and then
(theoretically) there is no difference. The other minor thing to think about
is that if you lose power, you lose your "land line", since the cable box
requires power. That doesn't happen with a POTS line.

On the other hand, we have a cell phone so that is not too much of a
problem. If you live in an area without cell coverage you would have this
limitation on a VOIP account.

Kevin
Kevin J. McAllister, President/CEO
inRESONANCE  ...  Ideas that resonate |  CMS-based websites for K-12
kevin at inresonance.com                 |  Admin database solutions
http://www.inresonance.com            |  Strategic consulting, training
413-587-0236x13                                   FSA Member since 1994