[Hidden-tech] best phone service?

Andy Klapper andytk at charter.net
Sat Jan 21 11:24:11 EST 2006

I have Comcast and I would love to use drop the traditional phone line,
but . I have a security system that connects to the monitoring service via
the POTS.  Can I do that through Comcast Digital Voice?  (or Vonage or other
service?).

How do these things hook up?  The cable enters the house in the same place
the POTS does.  The optimal solution would be to hook the existing POTS
patch panel up to a blinking box, which attaches to the cable.  Same old
phones, new phone service.  I have a sinking feeling that it's not that
easy.  (I'm thinking a special box plugged into a coax with a single phone
jack, which at best means I have to buy a multi-handset phone system and
chuck my existing phones - all six of them).  (Hint to Crocker and any other
telecom lurkers out there, if you want this service to go beyond geeks/early
adopters this is the way you are going to have to go eventually).

Andy.