[Hidden-tech] IT Profile Project Seeks IT Professionals

angelap at comm.umass.edu angelap at comm.umass.edu
Mon Jan 16 10:40:13 EST 2006

Dear Hidden Tech Member,

My name is Angela Paradise, and I am a doctoral student at the University of
Massachusetts-Amherst. I am working with a statewide higher education
initiative to encourage a broader mix of students to study information
technology (IT), and I am writing to see if you might help us.

Massachusetts is a national leader in an approach to IT education called “IT
Across the Curriculum” (ITAC) which seeks to provide substantial IT education
to students of all majors.  In ITAC programs, students learn about IT from
many different perspectives and are taught by a diverse faculty from a variety
of academic departments.  The results are promising: a much more diverse
population of students has been enrolling than what is seen in other technical
degree programs, and students report high satisfaction with their
experiences.

The project I am working on will build on this idea to give prospective IT
students an awareness of the many ways people work with IT in a variety of
fields.  Over this next year, we will develop “profiles” of employees in
Massachusetts who do interesting work requiring expertise in both IT and some
other field.  Students want to know what opportunities await them after
graduation, and these profiles will exemplify the wide range of occupations
where IT expertise is an important asset.

We hope that you will consider being profiled for this important project. The
time commitment is minimal, requiring a 30-45 minute interview at your
convenience.  (The interview questions could be posed and answered over email
as well, if this option fits better into your schedule.) During this
interview, I will ask questions regarding your educational background, career
path, current occupation, and perspectives on IT.  In addition, we would ask
your permission to be photographed (or provide us with a recent photo) so that
we may include a photo in your profile. Following the interview, we would
write your profile based on your interview, and you would have the opportunity
to make any revisions to the draft.

If you are willing to be profiled or have any questions regarding this
project, please e-mail me at angelap at comm.umass.edu. We also encourage you to
visit www.umass.edu/itprogram and www.citi.mass.edu to learn more about the
UMASS Information Technology Program (as one ITAC example) and the
Commonwealth Information Technology Initiative, respectively. Thank you for
your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Sincerely,

Angela Paradise
Doctoral Candidate
University of Massachusetts-Amherst