[Hidden-tech] Goodmail spells doom for mailing lists?

Jonathan Dill jfdill at jfdill.com
Fri Feb 17 13:22:32 EST 2006

Has everyone heard about the changes planned by AOL, Yahoo! etc. to
require "certification" via Goodmail or just be blocked?  There will be
a fraction of a cent fee to send "bulk" e-mail messages.

http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3581301

http://www.goodmailsystems.com/

What will happen to a mailing list such as this one?  Will AOL and
Yahoo! users just be out of luck or have to get an e-mail account with
another provider in order to receive mailing lists?  Maybe this mailing
list is small enough that the fees could be manageable, but I manage one
mailing list for a small business that has about 45,000 subscribers.  On
the surface, I guess the certification sounded like a good idea, but for
a lot of organizations, like this one or any of numerous all-volunteer
developer projects, it is going to put an unfair tax on e-mail.

Jonathan