[Hidden-tech] PHP web page login system

B. Kimo Lee bklee at azurelink.com
Thu Feb 16 17:47:54 EST 2006

Hi David,

Well, here's yet another recommendation for a CMS based on PHP/MySQL...
Check out Joomla (formerly Mambo CMS), www.joomla.org

It literally takes me about 10 minutes to get it up and running on my
server (Linux/Apache). 5 minutes to set up an empty database and db
user. 5 minutes to upload the tar file, decompress and run the
installer. It runs out of the "box" with a couple of default
templates. If  you're not graphically inclined, then there are
bunches of free or fee-based Joomla templates out there. It comes
with a "registered" member management system. You can restrict
content pages to certain member groups. Registered members get their
own members-only menu. There are several free third-party components
for forums. It comes with a great back-end admin area, including
WYSIWYG text editing and has a global community of developers. It rocks!

Check out this site I just launched for a client about three weeks ago:
http://www.patrioticpulse.org

Call me if you need more info.

Best,
Kimo Lee

On Feb 16, 2006, at 1:56 PM, David Korpiewski wrote:

> Hi all,
>    I'm doing a project for fun to build a web page to allow users
> to log into it and review items online.  So I need a system,
> preferably free, in something like PHP or CGI that would let users
> log in under their own account, browse the web pages, look at
> things and vote and review on other items.   But I'm having a
> difficult time finding something.   I ran into PHP-Nuke, but can't
> seem to find an example of it in use to warrant buying it to try it.
>
>    This goes beyond PHPBB, which is just a regular bulletin board.
> I'd have a forum too and then as users go through my web pages,
> they could jump into the forums to discuss everything they saw.  So
> ideally, it would all need to tie together.
>
>    Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thank you
> David

-----
Manage Your Own Site Content with Joomla CMS!

AZURELINK -- Simply Connected!
58 Cottage St, Suite 1
Amherst, MA 01002-2125
(413) 549-2020