[Hidden-tech] Retainer Fees?

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Sat Feb 4 17:11:22 EST 2006

>Shel, when you have new clients, do they ever balk at paying in advance? I'm
>sure you wouldn't "take the money and run," but do your clients worry about
>that and require some kind of guarantee?
>
>I usually ask for a deposit up front and then the balance at the end of the
>project, but I'm interested in other ideas.

I have built a *lot* of trust over the years. My w3ebsite has dozens
of testimonials, etc., and I've carved out a niche as the ethical
marketing guy. that reputation wouldn't last if I did so, and in
fact, when people have preferred to give a check and didn't spend it
all, I refunded the difference.

I do have a few clients who prefer to cover a series f small projects
with a series of small checks. And no one has ever objected to the
smallish deposit.
Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/800-683-WORD shel at frugalfun.com
-->Join the Business Ethics Pledge - Ten Years to Change the World,
One Signature at a Time  (please tell your friends)
<http://www.principledprofit.com/25000influencers.html>
Marketing consulting * copywriting * publishing assistance * speaking
How to market ethically/effectively: http://www.frugalmarketing.com
Ethics Blog:  http://principledprofit.blogspot.com/