[Hidden-tech] looking for recommendations for graphics PC

Mary Malmros malmros at verizon.net
Tue Dec 5 10:02:03 EST 2006

Reva,

If your husband is a professional photographer, he's no doubt using
professional equipment.  What I'd do in your position is get the make
and model of his camera, contact the manufacturer, and ask for their
recommendations, which are likely to be a good bit more helpful and to
the point than what you'd get with an ordinary consumer model.  If he's
using Photoshop, tell them that -- I'd be willing to guess they know
exactly what the requirements are.

As far as laptops go, I'm a fan, but not everybody is.  Equivalent
hardware (memory, HD, etc.) will, as a rule, cost you more in a laptop
than in a desktop, and for a high-performance model, you can expect to
spend some real bucks.  Also, a laptop experiences more wear and tear --
things are just going to break more frequently as a result of being
dragged around.  You _have_ to be much more scrupulous with backups.  If
your husband is the sort who just will not do daily backups, then
perhaps a laptop is not for him.

I don't know where you purchase your business PCs, but for a personal or
small-business model, I'd strongly suggest finding a local dealer who
can service it and who has good suppliers for parts.  I've got a dealer
in Amherst that I like, and I'm sure others have their favorites.

As far as software, typically, digital camera manufacturers provide a
suite of software, including the interface software that allows you to
download photos from the camera, and usually a bunch of add-on software
such as OCR, photo album organizers, and really basic photo editors --
mostly not something a professional would really use, except for the
interface software which is vital.  Ask the camera manufacturer's
customer support what version is current and what operating systems it's
supported on.  Then, if you know where your husband keeps his software
CDs, you might look to see what version he has now.  It's almost certain
that you will be able to download the new version from the
manufacturer's website if he needs one.  Find out also what version of
Photoshop he's using, go visit the adobe website and find out if it's
supported under the OS you're going to buy (or if it's still supported
at all).

Good luck and happy shopping,

Mary Malmros            			malmros at verizon.net
	Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug