[Hidden-tech] Stress Testing Web Applications

Tom Goldsmith TTGsmith at TGandA.com
Wed Aug 30 11:11:11 EDT 2006

Whatever tools you find, and however you
generate load, be sure you also do some
"collateral" testing with REAL USERS.

The trick is to get load up with whatever
tools you can find.  Monitor your servers
to see that the load is true and realistic,
and then at the same time get in with a
"human" user or two to see that you have
full functionality when load is in place.
Also, if any parts of your application do
error logging, of course you should be
prepared to look at those logs.  ...Real
time with a "tail" function, if possible.

Be realistic about the amount of load you
want to test.  Not an astronomical number
of users at the start.  And see that a
modest amount of load works well before
you increase the intensity of your test.
Do any really heavy, peak load testing,
only after you've confirmed that your
initial daily ambitions will be met with
good service.

As you may gather, I suggest having a
good "Performance und Load Test Plan"
in place from the start to increase the
quality of your measurements, and your
effectiveness.

I've done a few such plans, and would be
glad to discuss issues with you.

Tom Goldsmith

TTGsmith at TGandA.com
Thomas Goldsmith & Associates