[Hidden-tech] Local Printer Repair

Jonathan Dill jfdill at jfdill.com
Thu Aug 3 13:19:25 EDT 2006

Matt Lampiasi wrote:
> I've used Entre computer many times over the years with my customers
> and for myself, reasonable price if not a quick drive from northampton
> (theyre across from bobs furniture in w. spfld). Like Jonathon says,
> if you're industrious (and/or cheap) many better quality printers (hp
> lasers for example) have refurb kits which include rubber heads (say
> paper isnt grabbing, paper jams etc). A good laser will go as long as
> a car so its normal and to be expected to have to put some parts into
> it (and worth it on a good printer). I'd
This is def true, for a good laser printer it is worth it to put some
work into it, replace mainly to get new features and better
performance.  One important part people might not think about is the air
filter, older printers used to produce a lot of ozone, but that might
have improved.  If you are smelling that ozone smell, you probably want
to fix that or get a new printer, because it's not healthy.  Also don't
use a regular vacuum to suck up toner, it's usually polystyrene and iron
oxide, but still not great to have it in your lungs.  You want a HEPA
electronics vac or do it outdoors and wear an OSHA certified face mask,
or leave it to the pros.

Ideally, you want a laser where the toner drum is inside the toner
cartridge, or at least cheap and easy to replace.  I don't know if
anybody is making lasers any more that have the drum inside the printer,
but that's the part that used to go that would lead to streaky
printouts.  Also avoid using really old toner cartridges, if they are
more than 1-2 years old the toner gets clumped together and that can
lead to poor print quality, I don't know if they could possibly damage
the printer.

The fuser is another part that will go, this part is kind of like an
iron that melts the toner onto the paper, usually fairly easy to replace
and not too expensive, but you have to use a little common sense like
leave the printer unplugged for awhile to cool off so you don't burn
your fingers.

Most laser printers now use plastic cogs and gears to feed paper through
the printer, and those will fatigue over time and eventually break,
that's what usually kills a laser printer, although some gear assemblies
can be replaced.

Jonathan