[Hidden-tech] Local Printer Repair

Jonathan Dill jfdill at jfdill.com
Wed Aug 2 21:25:52 EDT 2006

David Shakun wrote:
> Any recommendations for area businesses that perform printer (inkjet,
> laser) repair?
An inkjet printer is essentially a sales vehicle for ink cartridges.  If
you put environmental concerns aside, I would expect it to almost never
be cost-effective to repair an inkjet printer unless it is a really
high-end unit, or you can find someone who repairs a lot of inkjet
printers so can do it at a lower cost.  I wonder if any manufacturers
out there are taking back old printers and trying to recycle them or
anything, that would definitely be a good thing and I'd like to hear
about it.  Beware of Dell inkjets though, they are cheap plastic junk
and poorly supported in my opinion.

If the printer is out of warranty, it looks like something is clogged
up, and you won't cry if it ends up trashing your printer, you might be
able to do something with swabs and high purity isopropyl alcohol
(97-99%).  I used to do that myself when inkjets were more expensive.
The best swabs are foam-tipped, the ones I got were sold for cleaning
the heads in magnetic tape drives.  Cotton swabs can leave fibers that
will leave streaks on printouts.

Jonathan