[Hidden-tech] localhost problem with .aspx files

Rich rich at on-the-net.com
Fri Apr 21 16:16:08 EDT 2006

This is actually quite easy to understand once you realize
the difference between a 'localhost' and a real web server.

A real web server can have programs that get run when a page of a
special type (extension like asp or .asp or php or jsp others) gets
referenced.

The text is actually a program that get processed by a programming
language, without the language on the system running it, it is just
like any other page -- localhost is not a web server (for most
desktop machines) but a nick name for your computer.

To see the result of that page properly, you need to have all the
parts of the program installed on your desktop machine,
the language and any modules or databases
(and their supporting systems).

In short the different between a web server and your desktop is
not just machine size and where they sit on the net.
(in fact some web servers are smaller than many desktop's today)

Rich

Friday, April 21, 2006, 11:12:49 AM, you wrote:
JW>    ** Be a Good Dobee and help the group, you must be counted to post .
JW>    ** Fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.

I am having a difficulty that I'm hoping the community expertise can help me
with.

I have a WEB site that works fine on the WEB server. However when I publish
the site to my localhost and run the site locally everything works great
except when one click on a link that is to a .aspx file. What gets displayed
then is the .aspx file Notepad showing the markup text.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jeremy Wise

Jeremy Wise Ph.D.

Dir R&D