[Hidden-tech] Laptop Comparison

Dave DelVecchio DDelVecchio at for-ibs.com
Thu Sep 29 17:36:55 EDT 2005

Hi Rob,

First, a gentle plug . . . These are the types of questions that
constitute the "value-add" of working with a Value-Added Reseller like
us rather than buying direct from a company like Dell (not to mention
helping to keep dollars local). . . But in any case, here are my two
cents on your questions.

1) Inspirons are made for home users, Latitudes are business-class.  Go
with the Latitude (I'm actually writing this on the predecessor of the
D510, the D505).  Think Ford Ranger vs. F-series pick-up trucks - which
would you want to be in if you were towing a boat or plowing snow?

2) XP Pro allows for connection to a Windows server-based network and
will allow more than 5-shares in a peer-to-peer environment.  XP Pro is
also much easier for a trained/qualified technician to troubleshoot and
repair (XP Home is made somewhat idiot-proof, and the troubleshooting
wizards included in the product make servicing it much less granular).
If you work in any sort of business environment, you should definitely
go with XP Professional.  For a full comparison, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

3) Yes . . . But only in the support of legacy devices.  If you are on
the road, you may come across wanting to connect to a printer that only
offers a parallel port.  If you can't identify a need, then one doesn't
exist for you, but we have plenty of clients that would require serial
and/or parallel ports in their environments.

Best always,

Dave DelVecchio
VP/General Manager
Innovative Business Systems, Inc.