[Hidden-tech] Recommendations: Inexpensive Fax Solution & Comcast Digital Voice

Will Loving will at lovingcomputing.com
Thu Sep 8 19:15:45 EDT 2005

I'd like to let Hidden-Tec members know about a couple of services that I
have begun using recently that I am impressed with. Additional comments,
impressions of these services and alternatives are also appreciated. I have
no affiliation with either of the services mentioned below.

Inexpensive Faxing Receiving:

I've struggled for a long time with trying to find an inexpensive and
trouble-free way to receive faxes. I can use my fax machine or computer to
send faxes out, but since getting broadband (and canceling my modem line)
I've not wanted to pay for a separate line just to receive a handful of
faxes a month.

For the last year, we've paid a few dollars a month to Verizon for a
separate number with "Distinctive Ring", a different ring tone which the fax
machine can be set to listen for. However I was still getting lots of junk
faxes and have recently found something much better, FaxAway.com. For a
dollar a month (charged in $10 increments) FaxAway.com gives you a private
fax number (in Seattle) and unlimited incoming faxes. The faxes are emailed
to you as TIF or JPG files and can be printed, forwarded or trashed as need
be.

FaxAway is associated with Kall8, an VOIP provider like Vonage, and outgoing
faxes are handled very inexpensively. I don't need the outgoing service for
the few faxes I send but it's there if you need it. You can upload various
document types including Word, etc. and they will fax it for you. FaxAway
also includes the option of VoiceMail at no charge though it was a little
confusing at first to setup. VoiceMail messages left on the same number are
also emailed to you as WAV files. I've been using the service for a couple
of months now and have no complaints.

Comcast Digital Voice

For those of you with Comcast service, I highly recommend their Digital
Voice Service. We converted first my business line and last week our house
line and are very impressed  with the quality of the service. What you will
notice immediately once you switch over is the improved quality and volume
of the sound. It is SO much better than the traditional Verizon land lines
that we had that I can't imagine going back.

The technician I spoke with said that most people have to reduce the volume
on their phones because of the louder and clearer signal. I've found this to
be true in that my headset, normally set between 4 and 5, now does very well
between 1 and 2.

We have not experienced the "dropouts" and choppiness that is frequently
observed with VOIP service and the apparent reason is that while standard
VOIP such as Vonage converts voice to packets at the phone and sends them
over the internet via your DSL or cable connection, Comcast actually sends
the phone signal upstream over the coaxial cable and converts it to IP
packets in a more central location.

We are very impressed and are saving money in the process. A single line
with all features and unlimited local and LD calling costs us $40/month, but
we only get internet service not "standard" cable. I think there is an
additional discount if you get at least Standard cable TV. The second line
is $20/month additional if you want all the features or just $10 a month for
unlimited calling but no other features.

Will

Will Loving, President
Dedication Technologies, Inc.

--

DEDICATION TECHNOLOGIES, INC.

- Developers of StudioSchool Pro -

Professional FileMaker Pro Database Development
For Non-Profits, Business, and Education
7 Coach Lane  Amherst, MA 01002-3304   USA
Tel:1 413 253-7223   Fax:1 206 202-0476
will at dedicationtechnologies.com   http://studioschoolpro.com