[Hidden-tech] Looking for internet technician

Robin MacRostie robin at choreographicdesign.com
Mon Sep 5 11:05:46 EDT 2005

MANY THANKS and some more information for EVERYONE who answered the original
post with great questions.  Here are some more answers:

I'm running Mac OS10.

The modem is attached to my old Mac running OS9.  The Airport Extreme base
station is nearby.

If we continue the same configuration, the ethernet cable would have to run
under the floor the length of the house, aprox 20 feet.

I want to get a router that is hardwired.

Our house was built in 1927.  There is plaster over early plasterboard.
We've done renovations and did not discover any wire mesh underneath the
plaster.

There is a microwave tower up the hill within a block.  UMASS surrounds us.
10,000 students with personal computers and cell phones.  1000 offices with
intranet, internet. It is easy to see the UMASS signal if you cross the
street.  My airport system is password protected. There are sure to be
hackers around, but why would they need it.

Yes, as I've experienced 3 times - one certainly will not know if wireless
works unless it works.

I'm trying to think ahead for future need.  Sometimes it is cheaper to  get
everything done with one visit than with several.  When I find a technician,
I will want someone who will quote this job,  additional connections of
other rooms, and a package deal.  Then, I'll have to weigh what I can afford
with what I may need later.

Can someone answer this newbie question:  Electrical wall outlets connect
one electrical line with wall outlets with multiple sockets for plugging
multiple appliances.  Do similar wall outlets exist for ethernet?

People get around not having enough or inconvenient sockets, by using,
extension cords, cubes and power bars etc.  Does that work with ethernet?

------ End of Forwarded Message