[Hidden-tech] How old is too old for a computer?

Christofer deHahn dehahn at charter.net
Tue May 31 22:08:17 EDT 2005

>I was wondering if anyone can answer a few questions for me pertaining to
my 98 Dell computer and Dell screen.
>My screen all of a sudden has a dark gray, blackish  look to it in the
lower right hand side. I had just moved it >so i thought it was dirty but
turns out its inside....does this mean my screen is on its way out??

As long as you haven't recently placed something with a magnetic field
(magnet, transformer, new speaker, etc.) in tht corner, then it may be
failing.

>also ....how old is too old for your computer hard drive?

The best consumer hard drives are warranteed for three years. I've seen
plenty of them die before then. I've also seen plenty of them last much,
much longer, depending on their environment and usage patterns. Server
drives that live in datacenters, with controlled power, that are on all the
time, can last a very long time, but when they fail, they fail big. PC
drives are usually power cycled daily, and get unregulated power for the
most part, which cuts the available lifetime. My data runs my business,
which makes me money. I back up my data diligently, and change hard drives
every three years or so.