[Hidden-tech] Windows security (sic)

Mark Bucciarelli mark at hubcapconsulting.com
Mon May 30 18:32:26 EDT 2005

Ben Liyanage wrote:

>I'd also say that most people that use linux for their desktop systems are
>like me--people with a degree in computer science, and/or a divine
>fascination with computers.  We are less likely to infect our computers with
>virii.

Yes, that's certainly the perception, but I don't know how accurate that
is either.  There is no way to tell for sure, but there are signs:

(1) WalMart has been selling PC's with Linux on them for over two
years.  And they continue to sell them, and have expanded their line to
include laptops.  I doubt hax04s are buying $299 boxes from WalMart with
Linspire.  ;)

(2) At LinuxWorld two years ago, someone came to the KDE booth from
Morgan Stanley saying they were going to run a 100 desktop pilot.

(3) In 2002, IDC said Linux made up a "1.7 percent share of the client
operating system shipments."  I don't know how many compters are sold
each year (google showed me one post that said 23 million PC's sold to
consumers and 39 million to businesses [1]).  Most programmers I know
download their Free Software instead of paying for it.  This suggests,
to me at least, there is a significant consumer portion in that 1.7%.

(4) The city of Berlin is converting all government desktops to Linux (
s l o w l y ...).

etc, etc.

Happy Memorial Day!

[1] http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=510530