[Hidden-tech] Big Doings For Hidden-Tech This Spring

webmaster webmaster at hidden-tech.net
Sun Mar 27 16:56:55 EST 2005

From: Amy traveling

   Hi all,

   I'm writing to you from Arizona on Easter Sunday, which seemed like a
   good time to send holiday blessings to those of you who celebrate and
   to report on exciting developments starting to roll out this spring.
   Plus, I'm hoping to answer some questions that have arisen around
   programming, the Web site and other issues.

   Probably the most important development for all of us is that we are
   about to become a non-profit. We already have our legal status filed
   and the non-profit package is about to go out. That means that we can
   now accept tax deductible donations and collect the sort of money
   through our sponsor ad program required to provide improved services.
   Details of the sponsor ad program will be released within the next
   week or so. Here are a few examples of how money would be spent based
   on requests from members made at last year's annual meeting and
   throughout this fiscal year:

   * Paid, subcontracted, staff support to better manage the demands of a
   growing, virtual organization

   * Improved Web site navigation that will not only make the site easier
   to wend around, but open up the Forums for online discussions and
   promotions

   * Improved ongoing site maintenance and updating of content

   * Continuation of top-quality programming

   * The introduction, down the line, of online networking/programming

   Coinciding with the move to a more professional organization -- if one
   that will continue to reflect the inclusive, fun spirit of Hidden-Tech
   -- are several exciting spring programs. Promo is listed on
   http://www.hidden-tech.net, but it doesn't explain the premise behind the
   programs. I think it's time for that explanation:

   * Berkshire Meet and Greet on April 26 in Pittsfield: This program is
   designed to get an informal (please note that word) satellite
   organization up and running to the west. This is part of a general
   plan to grow membership wherever there is business opportunities for
   all of you. The Berkshires, being so close and with so many
   Hidden-Tech types, is an obvious area to expand our opportunity base.
   Besides, we already have Berkshire members. Thanks to Susanna Opper,
   founder of an entrepreneur group in the Berkshires, we have access to
   over 1,000 individuals who might want to join Hidden-Tech. Susanna and
   Peter Bergman, our other Berkshire coordinator, know of other
   organizations catering to techies and others, who would benefit from
   joining Hidden-Tech. There will be no effort to formally organize the
   Berkshires beyond this program, at least at this time. This is a
   testing the waters event. If interest arises and Berkshire folks want
   to develop programming under Hidden-Tech's auspices, the steering
   committee will consider it. At the very least, we want to make our
   presence known and to consider an annual Berkshire event.

   * Hidden-Tech Connect on May 17 in Holyoke: Many of you have requested
   a chance to meet Hidden-Tech members in a structured fashion that
   would allow you to meet as many people as possible. And many of you
   want to showcase your products and services, but to an audience that
   might actually purchase products or hire subcontractors to perform
   services. We experimented with a marketing showcase a few years ago
   that looked great on the surface, garnering several hundred attendees,
   but, was short on results. The right business leaders and institutions
   that might purchase our products/services were not invited.
   Hidden-Tech Connect aims to remedy that lapse and put on a showcase
   that a) isn't limited to the marketing side of the membership, but
   allows everyone to showcase their businesses, and b) reaches out to
   the larger companies and institutions, along with business and
   political leaders from the region and the state. If you see the
   impressive VIP list posted on the promo you'll see we already have
   some key players who can help both members and the organization, at
   large. They range from the head of the state office of Small Business
   and Entrepreneurship, to the former editor of INC. magazine, the
   regional planner, Chamber of Commerce executives, educators and many
   others. The City of Holyoke, which is backing this program, is sending
   out invitations to 800 prominent regional business leaders and
   politicians. YOU WILL BE SEEN BY THE RIGHT PEOPLE.

   Why should you care? Why should you come out in large numbers?

   The first answer is that this is a marketing bonanza. The more members
   who come out to showcase, the more we know about our membership.
   Members do buy from
   members. And the steering committee has made this very easy for you.
   Early bird registrants come in for $15.

   Secondly, there are many institutions in the region, and politicians,
   who are eager to support Hidden-Tech's growth. This is an opportunity
   to show them, at a glance around an exhibition hall, how fabulously
   diverse and creative we are. We need the backing of regional leaders
   to help us sustain growth and continue to provide services, including
   technology, funding and locations for programming, to name a few.

   Tying in Hidden-Tech Connect with the Skills/Financials/Customers
   surveys:

   By now you are all undoubtedly sick of hearing about the Skills
   Profile/Inventory and surveys, which will be unveiled at Hidden-Tech
   Connect. Thanks to the near 200 of your who have answered the surveys,
   to date. What you may not realize is that these are the biggest
   marketing tools we can offer you. They are the beginning (note
   beginning) of one day having a searchable directory of your companies,
   goods and services. But we need a data base to create such a tool
   (along with money). But there are ways to search for products/services
   on the Web site today, even if the tool isn't as advanced as we'd
   like. Only those who fill in their profile and back it up with the
   surveys have this advantage.
   There is another reason to fill in these surveys, which is to provide
   much-needed data on virtual companies to the region. The more data
   they have on our skills, the more those actively selling our region to
   national companies can attract business that might support us.
   Companies seeking anything from a marketing expert to Web designer
   will know that there are people within the Hidden-Tech population who
   can meet those needs. Larger corporations and mid-size companies often
   turn down this region thinking that it lacks the work force to sustain
   their operations. That work force may exist, but it's hidden. We want
   to reveal the truth about the talents of this region.

   And, lastly, the world is seeking data on virtual companies. We are
   helping the U.S. Small Business Administration, U.S. Census Bureau and
   researchers throughout the U.S. and even globally, understand better
   the needs of our population. By answering these surveys, you are
   helping government officials --state and federal --  do that.  Only by
   understanding our needs, and recognzing our strength and numbers, will
   government programs be developed to assist us. Think of affordable
   health care, for example, or broadband access and even SBA
   loans/grants. We need to make the case that we exist and matter. The
   good news is that the SBA's state, regional and national offices all
   know about Hidden-Tech. They awarded me the 2005 Home-Based Business
   Champion award for Massachusetts/New England -- and considered me for
   the national, which went to a California woman -- because they
   consider Hidden-Tech and the virtual company movement the vanguard of
   the future. This is a tremendously enormous shift in awareness, and
   one we want to foster.

   So, I'm hoping to see a number of you in Pittsfield on April 26 and
   the whole membership out in force at Hidden-Tech Connect on May 17.
   Please, please, please, take the 10 minutes max you'll need to fill
   out the Skills Profile/Inventory and Financial/Customer surveys.

   * YOUR DATA IS SECURE: All data is secured. All information that will
   be released will be in aggregate. Some of you fear that this data will
   be compromised, but I can assure you that Rich Roth has the data
   stored on secured servers. There is only one other person, Jeff
   Lander, who has access to the raw data, which is being transferred via
   CD, not online. Even I don't know who has answered what questions and
   I'm the survey organizer and project manager. Moreover, touchy
   information like financials is requested in ranges. The customer
   questions have to do with locations, only. No one can know anything
   specific about your finances or customer base.

   Find me personally if you have questions at
   az at a-zinternational.com. Hope to see you allout at events and your
   data in.

   Happy spring!

   Amy Zuckerman