[Hidden-tech] Tech Questions and Need Office Assistant

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Sat Jun 4 07:01:39 EDT 2005

> Is there any way to protect against service interruptions when
> changing email hosts, and website hosts?

Lots of ways,  your new ISP should be able to handle your DNS entries
properly to eliminate any outages.  We do it all the time.

We like to:

1) Transfer your DNS zone to our DNS servers so we have control of
timing for the move ( leave A/MX records pointing to old host)
2). Drop DNS TTLs to a couple hours.
3). Setup a new web/mail host on our systems (test.www.domain.com)
4).  Test systems to make sure everything is working
5). Change DNS records pointing A & MX records to new host
6).Raise TTL to sane values
7)  Wait 1 day,  check mail on the old server for anything that came
in during the move (due to TTL expires)
8).  Drop service at the old service provider.

We have had ISPs in the past that would shutdown the old services
when the DNS records moved (step 1) but normally you have paid
through the end of the month so they should keep the service up until
then.

-Matt

--
Matthew S. Crocker