[Hidden-tech] DBA, LLC, or Sub S?

Mark Bucciarelli mark at hubcapconsulting.com
Sun Jul 24 12:47:52 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 12:00:22AM -0400, Charlie Heath wrote:
>   ** Be a Good Dobee and help the group
>   ** Fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>   ** Remember you must be counted to post .
>
> Looking into incorporating in Mass, it appears that LLC is more costly than
> Sub S because of a bigger state fee assessed annually.  Can anyone who has
> gone through these hoops comment on advantages of either LLC or Sub S for a
> Mass business?
>
> What threshold would you pick for switching from DBA to INC?  I'm
> considering switching from doing small software contracts on my own to
> taking on a somewhat bigger contract and subcontracting part of the work
> out.  Will INC really protect me a lot more than DBA for this purpose?

Obligatory disclaimer: IANAL (I am not a laywer).

The accounting is simpler for an LLC.  It's just like a dba (or
partnership).

Also, you have a lot more flexibility in designing how the org should
run--for example, we choose the LLC route at GAIA Host Collective to
create our worker-owned cooperative.  We were pretty free to write our
operating agreement as we saw fit.