[Hidden-tech] electric mowers (solar option?)

Ben Liyanage ben at smartankgroup.com
Tue Jul 26 12:09:15 EDT 2005

Peter Irvine wrote:

> Any of you environmentally conscious homeowners have recommendations
> on electric lawnmowers, or solar powered mowers?

Maybe the selection has improved, but as of a couple years ago when I
looked into it, Black & Decker corded models were it for the cheaper
range.  The cordless models cost $700+, also they are heavy due to the
batteries, and the eventual disposal of the rechargeable batteries could
lead to other environmental concerns.  I have a B&D corded electric
mower, but it doesn't mulch very well, so mainly I use my gas mulching
mower and try to cut infrequently as possible without getting a fine
from the HOA.  In some places, I have simply eliminated turf in favor of
lower-maintenance, drought tolerant plants.  The gas mower seems fairly
efficient, substantially more efficient than the gas mower that I used
to cut lawns when I was in high school 20 years ago.

> I thought I heard something about a local company making these.
> I've been using a Brill push reel, but if you leave town and let the
> grass get too high, it literally won't cut it. At the same time, I'd
> prefer to avoid the traditional gas-powered option.
> The yard isn't too big, but there's a hill and some obstacles.

Jonathan