[Hidden-tech] .VxD question

stephanie gelfan sgelfan at rcn.com
Fri Dec 30 15:12:03 EST 2005

.hi all

a few days ago, my thirteen-year-old managed to lose an entire wordperfect
file that he had been working on for months. He was working on a computer
unning windows 98

I tries alll sorts of things to find it, including some Norton utility
program that actually has found NOTHING , including files that are happliy
filed in wordperfect.

    Anyway, after several fruitless searches, I turned off the computer, and
the next time I rebooted, the following message came up:

    "Terminating thread due to a stack overflow problem. A VxD, possibly
recently installed, has consumed too much stack space. Increase the setting
of 'minSPs' in System.INI or remove recently installed VxD's. There are
currently 5 SPs allocated.

                    Press any key to continue"

   Does anyone know what it means and if it is significant?  I did press
another key, at which point the regular desktop appeared, and I have turned
the computer on and off a few times since then with no problems, but I have
not gone into wordperfect.

    ...and secondarily, does anyone have any other ideas of how to find the
file? we still have a backup file that dates back to nov 6th, but he worked
on in more recentlyu than that, and I had re-saved it on december 27th, the
day that he managed to lose it.

thanks, stephanie