[Hidden-tech] (un)reasonable expectations of email and web hosting services?

Mark Bucciarelli mark at hubcapconsulting.com
Sun Dec 18 02:57:54 EST 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 03:45:20PM -0500, Chris Duncan, GISmatters wrote:

> I expect the provider to have enough redundancy to keep at least email
> up and running 24x7.

[...]

> So, is it time for me to look for a different provider

Sounds like it.

> (and if so, I've got questions about how to do that in as seamless a
> way as possible),

There need be no downtime whatsoever when changing your web site and
email from one provider to another, as long as you are working with
people who know what they are doing.

Note that just because you cannot retrieve your email, it does not
necessarily mean you will miss any emails.

The Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) was designed to accommodate
failures.  If the sending mail server cannot contact the mail server
associated with your domain, it will try again later.  Typically, mail
servers will keep trying to deliver a message for 36 hours.  (But this
can vary depending on the provider--big mail queues filled with
undeliverable mail can be expensive.)