[Hidden-tech] Helping others without broadband

Jim Ussailis ussailis at equinox.shaysnet.com
Wed Aug 17 21:16:50 EDT 2005

First I wrote an email about BPL, thet tossed it, but there a few things
that the list might want to know.

First, Boradband over power lines (BPL) is placing a radio signal (RF) on
the power lines. A very old technology. The electric company in Canada has
been doing it for some time, but at a very low data rate, and using
frequencies below the AM broadcast band.

Our BPL is a plan to use medium voltage and low voltage lines to bring
broadband into the home. There are two major problems:

1. Cost. The RF energy cannot cross a transformer. It also gets weaker as
it goes down longer lines. This requires electronics...repeaters, and
cost. I have read that BPL is not economically viable in rural areas.
Read Western MA.

2. Lots of energy "leaks" from the power lines. This causes radio
interference. The interference is worse in radio and TV station weak signal
areas, because the signals are weak. Again read Western MA.

The leakage signal is also broadband. It covers a lot of spectrum. Should
you like to watch channel 5 from Boston, you might not. A BPL
transmission from a line going past your house would have a good chance
of covering it up. AM radio might take a big hit. But who listens to AM?

Shortwave radio? Forgetaboutit.

Someone mentioned 90 Mbps in the future. That means that the main part of
the transmission would have to be at 90 MHz as a very minimum. I don't
believe that's possible on our power lines. And it would radiate 90 MHz
energy, interfering with 88.5 MHz in the fringe areas. I like WFCR.

Jim Ussailis

jim at nationalwireless.com

PS Motorola has a different system. BPL on medium voltage lines, and
fiber or WiFi to the home. Makes a lot more sense, but still costs lots.