[Hidden-tech] Helping others without broadband

David Spound dspound at mac.com
Tue Aug 16 09:55:56 EDT 2005

This morning I heard a story on NPR about Broadband over Power Lines (BPL).
I only heard part of the report, and it concerned a small town in rural
Texas that has been able to offer broadband access to all of its residents.
This town had been unsuccessful at convincing phone and cable operators to
provide broadband service.

A side benefit for the town was much more efficient management of the
overall electrical service (being able to quickly locate a transformer that
went down, etc.).

Links:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4801446
http://news.com.com/Broadbands+power-line+push/2100-1034_3-5780316.html

While BPL service is not yet widely available, or without controversy due to
potential interference with radio operators, it may be a viable option for
providing broadband services to rural customers. It may also be worth
investigating for towns that have broadband service but would like to
provide residents with a less costly alternative.

Current speeds are 4 mbs (comparable to cable, faster than DSL). The next
generation of this service is supposed to operate at 90 mbs (suitable for
video), which could finally provide competition for the cable companies.

David

David A. Spound
david at spound.com
(413) 219-0654

Web site development and management
Strategic technical consulting and project management
Macintosh computer installation, training & support