[Hidden-tech] FW: Your Invited: Preview Reception of the University of Massachusetts Club

Steven G. Caron Steve at OldSchoolCapital.com
Fri Aug 12 13:53:25 EDT 2005

8/12/052
Fellow Hidden Tech members,

I attended the 8/10 preview of the new University of Massachusetts Club
in Downtown Boston.  If you have the opportunity to check it out, I urge
you to do so.  The pricing for folks that live outside the 495 Belt is
quite attractive.  Consequently, should you have reason to do business
in Boston (or socializing, for that matter), if you join you'll have a
home away from home.  Of course, the membership is not restricted to
UMass grads;  everyone is welcome at this time.  However, once the Club
commences operation, membership will be made available purely through
the invitation of existing members.

Clubcorp will be managing the facility.  I believe that they are a
publicly-owned outfit.  They manage several clubs around the country,
including golf-oriented resorts like Pinehurst and The Homestead.  One
of the benefits of belonging to the UMass Club will be the ability to
access Clubcorp properties around the country.  This is not a small
thing for those folks who travel extensively.  I'm told that local
clients are often shocked/delighted when their guy from out of town
comes to visit and hosts them at one of the best dining venues in town
--  one they often can't get into on their own.

Another thing the UMass Club will likely do well is the "family
tradition" events....Mother's Day, Easter, Valentine's Day and the like.
Don't underestimate the value of making these opportunities available to
the people that you care about.  These are the very things that folks,
both young and old, remember for a lifetime.

How do I know these things?  In addition to being a UMass grad (Class of
1982), I'm a founding member of the Boston College Club (BC MBA '86),
which is also run by Clubcorp.  The woman who is the regional manager
for the BC Club will also be overseeing the development of the UMass
Club, which tells me that service quality will be EXCELLENT!

I used to use the BC Club to entertain clients when I was with a large
financial institution in Boston.  I like the fact that the clients now
with my own firm and I get the same excellent attention and service as I
did when I was employed with a Fortune 500 corporation.  You will, too.
I encourage you to check out the new University of Massachusetts Club.

With best regards,

Steve Caron

Steven G. Caron
Managing Director