[Hidden-tech] AZ's Encounter with the NRCC

A - Z International az at a-zinternational.com
Fri Apr 15 09:34:38 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Had to share this somewhat amazing discussion I had today with the
Republican National Committee.

I was asked to join the Republican Business Council as a business leader
from Massachusetts and attend a June 14 dinner with President Bush. I
assume they have my named because of the recent SBA Small Business
Chamption award. (If you are an ardent Republican, forgive me for relating
how the rest of this discussion went. But I felt it disturbing enough to
pass along to all of you.)

Although I disagree with a number of policies that the Bush Administration
and Republican Congress are floating -- particularly their approach to
"fixing" Social Security and abuse of the dollar -- I was planning to join
to be able to insert issues that concern the Hidden-Tech population into
the national political agenda. Those who know me well know I write for the
National Association of Manufacturers and other business publications on
topics that are non-partisan and usually apolitical. I am a backer of
American business, but not necessarily ANY political party's business agenda.

When I told the NRCC I was interested in attending, they promptly asked me
for $300 to back a Wall Street Journal ad that was overtly pro-Republican.
It would have listed my name.

Not surprisingly, when I said I was happy to participate, but not as a
Republican they said I could not. In fact, I said I did not want to
participate in anything that was overtly political and not bipartisan. The
answer was a polite "sorry." They had "assumed" because I am a small
business leader from Massachusetts (their terms) that I was a Republican.

This encounter left me extremely saddened. It verified what I had already
feared -- that our current leadership in the White House and Congress is
only interested in hearing from supporters. They will turn down people of
other political persuasions eager to communicate with them in a nonpartisan
fashion because they are not political supporters.

No, I didn't really believe they would let me join the NRCC Business
Council as a Democrat or Independent. That was asking too much, I suppose.
But I can only hope that enlightened members of the Republican Party will
want to reach across the aisles to carry on constructive dialogues rather
than promoting policies that smack of a continued re-election campaign.

I have sent this along to journalists I know nationally because I am deeply
concerned with the continued politicization of business in this country.

If you want, contact me directly or send a thread to the Forums. Political
discussions are not allowed on the "discussion list," but I felt it
important that the Hidden-Tech membership know that we are now on the
national radar screen.

best,

Amy Zuckerman
Hidden-Tech founder, co-chair