[Hidden-tech] Query on computer programming skills

Chas Emerick cemerick at snowtide.com
Tue Dec 14 11:19:26 EST 2004

Python has to be included.  The scripting folks will almost certainly
want perl.  Since we are in an area saturated with higher education, a
Lisp/Scheme category might be a good idea.  C/C++ is also needed.
Internationalization and translation.  Performance analysis.  Object
modeling.  XML/XSL/XSLT/XHTML/FOP/RDF/OWL/etc.  Parser and grammar
development.  Zope/Plone/DTML/ZPT.  Apache.  UI design.  UI
construction (SWT/Swing/wx/QT).  Testing/QA/coverage
development/analysis.

Almost all of those technologies/skills are ones that we currently use
in some form, or that we will likely be needing in the future.  I'm not
so sure a rigid set of 10/20/30 skills is useful; I'd rather have a
100-plus array of checkboxes, plus free-form fields available for
people to specify skills that are unlisted elsewhere.  For example, if
there's a great hacker out there who really shines in Haskell, and
there's a company that's receptive to such skills, there's no reason we
shouldn't allow such things to be indicated.

Beyond that, being able to see peoples' full range of capabilities
helps to narrow the field when recruiting.  Having a skills directory
where 90% of the crowd has Java or .NET checked off isn't so helpful.
Being able to look over a skills directory and see that there's one
Java gal who's also into Ruby will indicate to me that she's capable of
growth and seeks to improve her repertoire in the search for technical
excellence and elegance.  So, even if I'm hiring for a mostly-Java
position, I'll prefer her because of her breadth and ability to adapt,
learn, and grow.  That sort of correlation will not come if there's a
limited set of possible skills that can be indicated.

I hope this is helpful; I don't mean to be a backseat driver here, just
giving my perspective as a (hopefully soon-to-be) employer.

Chas Emerick
413.519.6365  |  cemerick at snowtide.com
Snowtide Informatics Systems

PDFTextStream: fast PDF text extraction for Java apps and Lucene
http://snowtide.com/home/PDFTextStream/